7.05.2012

Hazelnut Biscotti [TWD]

Hazelnut Biscotti

I'm so bad about posting these challenge posts on time lately! Ah well. I thought these were just okay as far as flavor and texture goes, but I really liked how fast and easy they were to make. I doubt I'll ever make them again, there are definitely better biscotti recipes out there... I did like the cool little trick I learned for removing the skins from hazelnuts - all you do is add some baking soda to boiling water and boil the nuts until the water turns black. You just keep taking a nut out and testing if the skin rubs off easily, once it does they're all ready to be de-skinned (is that a word?).

As always, the recipe for these can be found on this week's hosts' blogs, here and here, as well as in the Baking With Julia cookbook.

20 comments:

  1. Love your picture! I had a very messy time using the baking soda water method! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was messy for me too, I'm just glad it washed out of my saucepan without a problem :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a brilliant trick! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did like them but there are better sweets without a doubt!!! Beautiful picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were my first biscotti (so I don't have any other biscotti to compare yet) and I did love them.
    Learning the trick how to blanch hazelnuts (and almonds) will definitely change my way of "shopping"...

    Your biscotti turned out great and that cup of coffee... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do hope you'll try some other biscotti recipes, you won't be disappointed :)

      Delete
  5. Wow your biscotti looks perfect! Can't wait to make this and dunk it in my morning tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That sounds delicious, have fun! :)

      Delete
  6. I love the picture, definitely I think there are better recipes, but its great to learn this kind of things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picture! I thought these were pretty good but not wonderful. I'm looking forward to trying the other biscotti recipe in Baking with Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely picture.
    After hearing the deskinning stories, I think I am glad to have missed that part :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really wasn't all that bad, although I'd probably try to find pre-peeled hazelnuts before doing them myself again!

      Delete
  9. Your post mirrors my thoughts. Lovely picture!

    ReplyDelete