6.11.2012

French Toast w/Blueberry Sauce


French Toast w/Blueberry Sauce

Hey y'all! Sorry I've been m.i.a. for so long, I was having a situation and had to go home for a few months to be with my family but I'm back, refreshed, and ready to share my recipes and kitchen anecdotes with you again, yay!

French Toast w/Blueberry Sauce

I first made this french toast while I was at home last month and thought it was too good not to share with you guys. I made it again as my own welcome-home breakfast the morning after I got back and managed (barely) to snap a few shots before I stuffed it into my mouth. You can skip the blueberry sauce if you want and just use plain old maple syrup, but where's the fun in that?

French Toast w/Blueberry Sauce



French Toast
adapted from Alton Brown

1 cup half-and-half (I prefer to actually mix the 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup milk myself, I think it tastes better that way, but I'll leave that decision up to you)
3 large eggs
2 tbsp honey, warmed in the microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
8-10 (1/2-inch) slices French bread
4 tbsp butter

  1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey (temper in), salt, cinnamon and vanilla. (You can mix this the night before and refrigerate.) When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan or other wide, shallow dish and set aside.
  2. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Dip each slice of bread into the custard mixture and allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side. Remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan and allow to sit for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Over medium low heat, melt 1 tbsp butter in a 10-inch cast iron or other heavy skillet. Arrange 2-4 slices of bread in the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all slices and serve immediately with maple syrup or blueberry sauce (recipe below).


Blueberry Sauce

3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen)
1/2 cup Grade A or B maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice

  1. In a small saucepan over medim heat, combine all ingredients and cook until blueberries are soft (and thawed if frozen) and the mixture is heated through. Turn heat down to low and keep warm until ready to serve.


16 comments:

  1. love it...french toast, blueberries...ahh.. these are just some of my most favourite things!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything is great!! This sure looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are going well now, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Yum that looks delicious! I'm glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back! :)

      Delete
  4. Your French Toast recipe rocks! I love the fruity flavor for breakfast...Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an incredible breakfast! Your blueberry syrup is SO much better than plain ol' maple syrup...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect brunch fare. The blueberries in the syrup are a welcome change and love the honey in the toast. Bet it caramelizes a bit while cooking. yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so delicious, I can't even tell you!

      Delete
  7. Dear Jen, Your French toast looks beautiful and sounds delish! You have a very elegant and lovely blog which I discovered through Lizzy. I do hope you visit soon! Blessings to you, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I will definitely have to hop on over to your blog and check it out :)

      Delete
  8. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete