6.21.2012

French Strawberry Cake [TWD]


French Strawberry Cake

It's been a while since I've done a Tuesdays With Dorie post. I went back home to Hawaii in April for two months and didn't bring my Baking With Julia book or my camera (which I later kicked myself repeatedly for) so I wasn't able to make and photograph the new challenges. (Not that I would've had time to anyway since I was at the beach just about every day!)

French Strawberry Cake

I got back about 2 weeks ago and have just been settling back in and getting used to being away from my family again. I couldn't wait to check the TWD website and see what recipes I'd missed and which were chosen for this month. I'm so glad this was the recipe selected for this week, it was the perfect one to kick off my return to Tuesdays With Dorie! A lot of people described this cake as bland but I'd have to disagree, I thought it was delicious. I love strawberries and cream so this cake was right up my alley.

I was pretty nervous about it at first since I'd never made genoise before (I guess maybe I've still never made one as there's a dispute over whether or not this would even be considered a genoise since the eggs aren't heated) and the book has nearly an entire page dedicated to explaining "the whys and hows of genoise." I even considered skipping this week too, but I found the sweetest strawberries at the farmers market for only $5 for 3 pints and took it as a sign. (A sign that they're in season?) It was definitely not as difficult as all the hype made it out to be, as long as you're paying attention and use a gentle hand. I even forgot to preheat the oven before making the batter and had to let it sit there, deflating, while the oven got up to temperature! It still turned out fine :)

French Strawberry Cake

The recipe says to bake the cake in an 8-inch round cake pan but I only have a 9-inch round cake pan so I just used that figuring I'd cut the cake into two layers instead of three. However, after reading some people's comments about the cake being dry and bland I thought I should definitely do three layers to lighten it up and maximize the amount of berries and cream inside the cake itself. It was tedious and I'd be lying if I said each layer didn't have areas that went from paper thin to nearly half the width of the original cake itself, but it was worth the extra effort because my finished cake came out perfectly light and not dry whatsoever. (To sum this up, 3 layers = essential. That is all.)

French Strawberry Cake

This recipe is definitely a keeper, I may even have to make it again for my birthday ;) The recipe for this cake (in case you want to try it, which you definitely should) can be found on this week's hosts' blogs, here and here, as well as in the Baking With Julia book.

18 comments:

  1. I agree! All the talk made me weary to want to make the cake, but it came together quite quickly and easily from my preconceptions of it and it tasted great to boot! :) I got three layers out of mine, but I also doubled the cake recipe and I dont think I will next time, my layers rose well and were quite thick! I probably could have cut them each in half and wound up with even more layers than anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would've been one tall cake! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too :)

      Delete
  2. aha.. so 3 layers is the trick to overcome the dry cake!! yours came out beautifully!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I was so relieved! I was totally expecting a dry, bland cake :/

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the cake more than I did, it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was surprised to hear so many people didn't care for it!

      Delete
  4. I've decided to stop reading the P&Q's until after I've made the recipe. So much genoise angst had me a nervous wreck! Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I do, however, feel like I get enough helpful advice and creative adaptation ideas from it to make the anxiety worth it, haha.

      Delete
  5. Hawaii... oooohhhh! Must have been hard to come back even if your book "baking with Julia" was missing you!
    Your cake looks delicious: you haven't lost your skills at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, you're sweet! :)

      Delete
  6. Very lovely - those berries look perfectly sumptuous! I am sure coming home after being in Hawaii was a challenge - I know I didn't want to leave there after a visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was definitely difficult at first but I've finally gotten settled back in :)

      Delete
  7. How great that you got to spend so much time with your family! Your comeback cake turned out great,I love the serving plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoyed every minute :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Since this is a Tuesdays With Dorie post, only the host for this week was allowed to post the recipe from the book on their blog. You can find it by clicking on the link to the host's blog in the last paragraph of this post.

      Delete