5.01.2012

Baked Cheese Grits (with Muscovado-Glazed Bacon) [club:BAKED]


Baked Cheese Grits w/Muscovado Glazed Bacon

This week's club:BAKED recipe was Baked Cheese Grits. I skipped the last step where you top the grits with more cheese and broil it until it browns, so I guess my grits would just be called Cheese Grits since they didn't actually see the oven... but what they lack in Baked-ness (?) they make up for with BACON.

Baked Cheese Grits w/Muscovado Glazed Bacon

I made the bacon thinking it would compliment the cheese in the grits, but it ended up totally stealing the show! I enjoyed the grits, but I prefer them with just salt, pepper and butter. It was a little too cheesy in my opinion. I know a lot of people won't eat grits without the cheese, so to each his own I guess. Serve this with eggs over easy and toast for the perfect weekend breakfast.


Muscovado-Glazed Bacon
adapted from 80 Breakfasts

4 strips of bacon
2 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
Freshly cracked black pepper
  1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
  2. Lay the bacon strips flat on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the muscovado sugar evenly over the strips and crack some black pepper over them.
  3. Bake for 12-16 minutes, until the sugar has caramelized and the bacon has browned. Keep an eye on the bacon after 12 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn.

The recipe for the Cheese Grits can be found on this week's host's blog, as well as in the Baked Explorations book.


*note - if you're having trouble finding stone ground grits in your area (they're extremely expensive online) try looking at Trader Joe's. I found a big bag there for only $4!

18 comments:

  1. I got my grits at TJ's too. I've never had grits before, but I thought they were really good, but super rich - maybe because of all the cheese. Perhaps next time I'll try a little less cheese and see if it helps with the crazy richness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grits, but I definitely like them better plain, you probably will too :)

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing!!! I'll check out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! Thanks for the Trader Joes info. I will definitely stop by there to get my grits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I think the last step was overkill anyway. I liked them just as well straight out of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay good, that makes me feel better about skipping it, lol

      Delete
  5. Cheese and bacon, my two favorite things (and chocolate of course) heading over tomorrow to Trader Joes to buy grits and make this asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Definitely post about it so I can see how it turns out :)

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! As a fellow bacon lover I have to say that looks DELISH!! Thanks for baking with me!
    -Lisa@Gourmified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bacon was so good! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  7. My goodness, that looks so good! Also, I nominated you for an award :) http://redheadcuisine.blogspot.com/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'll check it out! :)

      Delete
    2. I fixed the list, sorry about that!

      Delete
  8. Hi there, this is a really nice post. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. Food on Friday – Bacon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will do, thanks for the invite :)

      Delete
    2. Great that you linked in, thanks.
      I'll put in the title for you

      Delete