4.03.2012

Pizza Rustica [TWD]


Pizza Rustica

This week's Tuesday's With Dorie recipe is an Italian classic. Pizza Rustica, typically served on Easter, is a sort of deep dish cheese pie similar to quiche. This particular recipe had a sweet crust filled with ricotta, mozzarella, pecorino romano and prosciutto.

This seems like a good time to mention that I wasn't too crazy about this dish. I thought it was too cheesy and the sweet crust didn't compliment the filling well in my opinion. I'm not that into cheese though, so that could be the reason. However, I will say that the crust baked up beautifully - it was the most attractive pie I've ever made!

While I wasn't crazy about the dish itself, shopping for the ingredients helped me discover my love for Trader Joe's! I always buy my flour there so I stopped there on my way to Whole Foods where I was planning to buy the cheese and prosciutto (which I was expecting to cost me a small fortune). On a whim I decided to check out their cheese isle... Holy crap! Have you ever seen it? It's huge! They had everything I needed (including the prosciutto) and it was way cheaper than any other place I'd seen. I was planning on making 4 or 5 stops that day just to get everything I needed for the week, but in the end I only made that one stop. TJ's had every last thing on my list for a ridiculously low price. I think this is the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship.

The recipe for the Pizza Rustica can be found on this weeks hosts' blogs, here and here, as well as in the Baking With Julia book.

22 comments:

  1. As always, perfect pictures :) I nominated you for the liebster award btw, go to my blog to check it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me wish I hadn't forgotten to make this! I love quiche. Your photo is terrific, even if you didn't really like the "pizza". Hopefully the lemon loaf will be more to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I liked the lemon loaf way better :) (I already made it, lol)

      Delete
  3. Your pizza looks lovely! So happy to have found your blog via TWD, what great photos! I agree the pizza was a little startling in it's texture, but once I got over that I really enjoyed it...er well, enjoyed it, maybe not "really."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so happy you found my blog too :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad I got to try it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pic! I actually liked this one, but then I've yet to meet something with cheese that I didn't like. And I agree with you on TJ's. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been going to TJ's for everything lately and I honestly don't know why I ever thought it wasn't worth the hype!

      Delete
  5. I love trader joe's cheeses. Your pizza rustica looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been getting all my cheese from there lately :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely photo, your Pizza Rustica looks beautiful!
    TJ rocks! I currently live in an area that doesn't have it yet, it's been six years since one was down the road from me. I've been lost. Thankfully they are opening here this spring! It's totally worth the hype! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, where I grew there's no Trader Joe's at all (I lived on an island so driving to one wasn't an option either). I don't know how I'd survive without it now, lol.

      Delete
  7. Jen, I'm with ya, I'm not a huge fan of cheese, so I changed mine up a bit to cut down on that cheesiness of it. I miss TJ's, it was a great place to find even better products (I used to live in Vegas, now in Denver without TJ's). Thanks for baking along this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I wish I'd thought of that! I wasn't brave enough to try adapting this recipe, I've never made anything like it so I decided to play it safe :/

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photo! I thought it was tasty but not so much that I will go back to and bake again and again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this isn't something I'll be making again either! :)

      Delete
  9. I thought this was OK, but not that exciting. I agree about Trader Joe's cheese section! I always buy a couple of small goat cheese logs there. Nuts are another good thing to stock up on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my boyfriend always stocks up on raw nuts from TJ's as well :)

      Delete
  10. Well,even if the pie wasn't a winner, you won in the store category :-)
    It looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree, what I got out of this experience was worth the disappointment ;)

      Delete
  11. I wish I lived near a Trader Joe's! The closest one is about 60 miles away. I remember the first time my aunt took me to one when I visited her in San Francisco. As a 10 year old from a very small town, I had never seen a store like it. Sigh. Glad you can enjoy it though and your pizza rustica looks beautiful! Definitely an attractive pie!

    ReplyDelete