4.17.2012

Lemon Loaf Cake (w/Lemony Glaze & Candied Lemons) [TWD]


This week's Tuesday's With Dorie recipe was Lemon Loaf Cake. It's your basic dense lemon loaf, perfect for serving with coffee or tea. You can't really tell in the photos but I made my loaves mini.

Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze and Candied Lemon Slices

I decided to upgrade this basic loaf with a lemony glaze and some candied lemon slices. I've never had candied lemon before and I found it to be a little too sweet for my taste. It sure did look nice though ;)

Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze and Candied Lemon Slices

The lemon glaze worked extremely well with this loaf. I only put the glaze on one of my loaves, just in case it didn't turn out well, and I much preferred the glazed loaf over the plain. I ate mine toasted with blueberry preserves, YUM!

Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze and Candied Lemon Slices

To make the lemon glaze, all you need is 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, sifted, and 1 lemon. Squeeze lemon juice into the sugar until the icing is thin enough to drizzle over the loaf. (You might need a second lemon depending on the size of your lemons.)


The recipe for the loaf can be found on this week's hosts' blogs, here and here, as well as in the Baking With Julia book.

40 comments:

  1. Yea mini loaves! Mini is so much better, don't you think? And your staging is so lovely, as always! I was too lazy to add the lemon icing at the time but I may just whip some up tonight and drizzle it over a few toasted (mini) slices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you really should, it improves taste as well as aesthetics ;) lol

      Delete
  2. It does look very nice! I'm still waiting for mine to finish baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mini loaves are cute and a great idea! Nice baking with you! Catherine at www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lemon glaze was a smart addition and the candied lemons look gorgeous. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I'm glad I decided to add them :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful lemon loaves you made, they look really cute with the candied lemons.

    I also wanted to thank you for the Liebster Award you gave me, I finally put up. Thank you very much, that was really nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you're so welcome, you deserve it :)

      Delete
  6. Your loaves look SO pretty! I love the look of that glaze, and the candied lemons look like little jewels on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they came out even more impressive than I imagined :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! So wish I would have had time for such decadent toppings. Looks stunning and delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late to add the glaze, it's so easy and fast :)

      Delete
  8. Never mind the sweet lemons, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful pictures! I have got to try candied lemon slices, they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous looking loaf and photos..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What adorable mini lemon loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the candied lemon. It really dresses it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so happy with the way they turned out :)

      Delete
  13. Your candied lemons look great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, and I bet it was delicious with the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures!!! What a great idea to make mini loaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought these were nice in smaller portions (like the mini loaves). It looks beautiful with the candied lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful loaf! The candied lemons sound good. I like sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if you like sweet you'll definitely like the candied lemons :)

      Delete
  18. Not a TWD recipe, but I have a really good lemon yogurt cake recipe if you are interested!
    http://cannella-vita.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemon-yogurt-pound-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

      Delete