3.15.2012

Mississippi Mud Pie [club: BAKED]


I didn't think it was possible, but after the tartlets, scones, rugelach and now this mud pie all in less than a month, I'm at chocolate overload! This is the last chocolate-based thing I'll be eating for a while. The rest of this mud pie is in the freezer as we speak, which is a shame because it really is delicious and the texture is (er, was?) amazing.

Mississippi Mud Pie

This mud pie was fairly simple to make, as long as you spread the process out over a couple of days. I made the (oreo cookie!) crust, flourless chocolate cake and pudding on day one, chilled it overnight, then simply poured the pudding onto the cake the next day and chilled it for 30 more minutes while I whipped some cream for topping. Easy!

Mississippi Mud Pie

This is the type of dessert I'd bring to a friend's house for a dinner party. It's fancy enough for a special occasion, but its little imperfections give it a casual, homemade vibe. I'm extremely selective about the food I make that gets offered to other people - if it's not something I'd pay to eat at a restaurant, it's not good enough to serve to my friends and family. The fact that I'll probably make this again at some point for my loved ones speaks volumes about how good this pie is. The pudding also has a bit of espresso powder in it which gives it a nice kick without overpowering the chocolate. It's subtle enough that even non-coffee lovers will enjoy it.

Mississippi Mud Pie


The recipe can be found on this week's host's blog, as well as in Baked Explorations by Matt Lewis/Renato Poliafito and Home Baked Comfort by Kim Laidlaw.


16 comments:

  1. I'm making this for my bday,no doubt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely should!! Don't forget to post pics :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious and beautiful. I couldn't participate
    this month, but I am looking forward to next time!
    Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I can't wait to see your future posts :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked this one too, although mine came out a bit err..different. Still tasty though. Can't wait to try it when I have my bakeware back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think yours is so creative! Different, but in a good way :)

      Delete
  4. YUM! This looks super tasty. And for some reason I've never had miss mud pie. I've got to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was my first time trying it too, I was pleasantly surprised :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I am on chocolate overload or just plain baking overload! I feel like all I've done was bake something new every week. This was a MUST though - aren't you glad you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad, but I agree with you, overload in general, lol. I didn't realize how expensive baking so often can be!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I wish I could have baked along this week, this one really looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should still try it, it was so good! :)

      Delete
  7. OMG!!! Please send me a slice of that!! Looks gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete