2.21.2012

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets [TWD]


Chocolate Truffle Tartlet

Chocolate Truffle Tartlet

Chocolate Truffle Tartlet

This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe is a chocolate lover's dream come true. Rich, decadent, a total guilty pleasure. Make this for someone special in your life and they'll love you forever.

Both the crust and filling were fairly simple to make (unless you are a total novice, in which case you may want to watch David Ogonowski prepare these tarts on Julia Child's show before you jump in. Here are the links: Part 1, Part 2). I made the crust dough first (it came together easily), then stored it in the freezer for a week before thawing it overnight in the refrigerator and baking it the next day. The filling took a little longer to assemble, but that might just be in my case because I made it late at night and kept confusing myself (I know I'm not the only one who does that...right?). At the end of the day my efforts were rewarded - my tartlets came out better than I could've hoped for. It's got a texture that's somewhere between a mousse and a brownie, not to mention the rich, chocolate-y flavor, and a flaky crust that just won't quit. If a brownie and a pie had a love child, it would be these tartlets. If all that isn't enough to convince you that you need these in your life ASAP, I could also mention that the filling is studded with small chunks of white chocolate, milk chocolate and biscotti. That may sound like overkill, but it works. Don't ask me how, just trust. Have I ever steered you wrong? Don't answer that.

You can find the recipe for these tartlets on Steph, Spike, Jaime and Jessica's blogs, as well as on pages 382-383 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking With Julia.

40 comments:

  1. I love your photos, and your tart looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture! Also, I agree with you description that this tart is somewhere between a brownie and a pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! That's the first thing I thought when I took a bite, brownie-pie! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think your tartlets look absolutely wonderful! I love the softness of your pictures.

    This is my first TWD post and it has been so fun reading about everyone's experiences. Can't wait for next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, I've really enjoyed seeing how everyone else's TWD recipes turn out :)

      Delete
  4. Your tartlets look wonderful. Thanks for the link to the "Tuesdays with Dorie" picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I got it from someone else's blog as well :)

      Delete
  5. Seriously terrific photos Jen. Yours came out sooooo much better than mine. I actually didn't like them very much, and now I'm wondering if it's my fault. Doing them late at night might have been an issue for me. I was pretty tired by the time I got around to the filling. I guess it's decided: I'm re-doing them in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know what they say about persistence :) I think yours came out great though, and your description sounds just like how mine turned out. These tartlets are some serious chocolate business, definitely not for the faint of heart ;)

      Delete
  6. A combo of a mousse and a brownie. That's it! Your tarts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to give me some tips about taking pictures, they're AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Everything I know I learned from looking at other bloggers' amazing photos :) I'm still learning though!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful tartlets and amazing photos.. I love the styling and soft look of them..

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely Tarts .... it just looks divine !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures - the glass of milk was a nice touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, the glass of milk was absolutely necessary with those tarts! :)

      Delete
  11. Love the pictures with the glass of milk! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful tart.

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absolutely delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com. I love your blog's name by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, and thanks for the invite, I'll go check you guys out :)

      Delete
  14. yum!! you could make these little and they'd be like reese's... only way better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great idea, I would never have thought of that! :)

      Delete
  15. love the presentation :) thanks for baking w/me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love these photos

    ReplyDelete