These were so scrumptious, exactly what a Sunday morning calls for. I prefer to eat them plain since the maple syrup baked in sweetens them up enough for my taste, but feel very, very free to warm up a little more maple syrup for dipping on the side ;)
Blueberry Mini Maple Pancake Muffins
barely adapted from Bakerella and Baked Bree (who also adapted them from Bakerella - the brains behind the mini-maple-muffin-madness)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp pure maple syrup (I used Trader Joe's Organic grade-A dark amber syrup)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw first) (you can also use chocolate chips as done by Bakerella and Baked Bree, or even omit add-ins altogether...but where's the fun in that?)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 24 cup mini muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl, stir buttermilk, egg, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla until just combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries. Reserve a handful to sprinkle on the tops.
- Put about a tablespoon of muffin batter into each cup in the muffin pan and top with a few more blueberries.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes (mine took more like 11 minutes - this may have been caused by the extra moisture released by the blueberries). Let cool slightly and remove from the pan. Serve immediately, plain or with maple syrup.